Sunday, 17 February 2013

The view from The Shard


By far my favourite Christmas present from Mr That's Not My Age, was yesterday's trip to the top of The Shard. Designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano, London's newest skyscraper is also the tallest building in Europe (1,017ft). Being a complete scaredy cat when it comes to heights, I was more than a little nervous standing at the foot of this 72-storey, pointy skyscraper. But once inside, the spirit of London 2012 was alive and kicking as the ├╝ber-friendly staff welcomed us in and collected our £25 pre-booked tickets. Much has been said about The Shard's sky-high pricing system, pay-as-you-go visitors (predominantly tourists) will have to pay £100, and the fact that it was funded by foreign investment hasn't gone down well in some quarters. But I think it's a marvellous addition to the city's skyline and when I'm feeling flush I'll be going up again, to view the city at night.


 
I'm hoping that in the meantime, the lovely, friendly staff will have a lesson in 'what to say in the event of an emergency' because when the computerised lift got stuck on 33-floor and the doors had to be prised open, their comments on the frequency of lift malfunctions and inane banter about London's landmarks did nothing to calm my nerves.


Ooh look, you can see That's Not My Age Mansions from up here.


And when we were finally on our way down, we spotted some very brave men...





Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

18 comments:

janicebotterill said...

We took a turn on the Eye in the summer and I was amazed not to see the Shard until we'd been up and around for ages...it popped up eventually. An amazing building!

Sarah said...

Wonderful views and what a great and original Christmas present... Not sure I would have liked being stuck in the lift very much either, like you! x

Veshoevius said...

Amazing views! I'm reminded of the view of Paris and the Seine river - must make a point of going up there.

Patti said...

Great pictures! Looks like we have to make a stop there on our next visit, minus any snarky remarks from the staff : >

mette said...

The building stands up, in a good way ; ).
But the price of the tickets to enter it, do sound high.
I´d be scared of the height myself.

Val Sparkle said...

Amazing pictures! Sky high prices, too! But it looks like it was worth it.

finchleygirl said...

I feel SICK just looking at your photos - how will I manage when I go up it? Don't know how on earth do those 'window cleaners' do it?

Shelley said...

Oh, my tummy does flips just looking at your photos. Malfunctioning lift? My brain would start wondering what else might fail. I think I'm content with looking up instead of down.

Kate Battrick said...

I love it too - if it weren't for the houses in front of mine I'd have a view of it! Can't wait to make a trip to the top

THE DIVINITUS said...

Fabulous development.
I had similar feelings when visiting John Hancock's top floor in Chicago.

Alison Cross said...

Great pix! I'd love to get to the top of that - the view is outstanding! Hope that there are fewer lift malfunctions though :-D

Ali x

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You are a brave woman! I'm enjoying your pictures, but would have to work up the courage. It does look like an amazing structure.

MyStyle said...

Hi there! Great photos and views, can't wait to visit and go to the top too!

Sue Walker said...

I'll have to work up the courage too. I remember being worried about going on the London Eye as I don't like heights, but I actually loved it (though I was clinging on to the railing for dear life when I summoned up enough courage to look out!) I remember a work colleague who didn't like heights saying he had been stuck at the top for half an hour. He said he sat on the floor with his eyes shut, praying!

That's Not My Age said...

Patti - oh the staff were sweet and inexperienced, not snarky.

Sarah - we weren't actually stuck for very long but still...

Sue - oh blimey, that sounds hideous. This is much better than the London Eye, didn't like that much, far too slow!

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your photos and the view is breath-taking. Swoon!!!

Stephen Joseph said...

We had a fantastic time yesterday, I feel its good value for money. Its inline with other viewing gallery's I have visited in other city's and the Shard experience is delivered to a high standard.
There are staff everywhere and they are well informed, queuing is kept to a minimum and there is little crowding, meaning you are able to enjoy your experience in comfort.
Check out my video of our trip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAq3bN1C66A

mountainear said...

Went up on the opening day and was expecting an overdose of statistics about the building's superlatives - but no. The experience was about stepping out off the lifts and the WOW of the view.

Staff were, without exception, very sweetly polite and engaging. Just think that some of us Brits of certain age find that ever so slightly un-nerving. I mean we don't do conversation in lifts do we?