Monday, 18 February 2013

Style at any age: Gudrun Rogvadottir


Over at London Fashion Week today, I bumped into gorgeous Gudrun Rogvadottir. She's one half of Faroese knitwear label Gudrun & Gudrun, the business brains behind the brand. I know that I probably should be telling you about Great British style, but this season there's a special Scandinavian section at Somerset House and I'm a sucker for Nordic design. Proving that Casual Glamour is a global phenomenon, Gudrun R was wearing a chunky hand knit sweater and the metallic shoes her grandma wore for her golden wedding anniversary. Fabulous.



And we all know what Gudrun & Gudrun is famous for...

Far right: as worn by Sarah Lund, the jumper of truth & justice.

The company director very kindly talked me through some of her favourite pieces from the latest collection. The 'landscape' sweater is inspired by the colours of the Faroese sky at dawn - if Sarah Lund ever makes a comeback, I bet she'll be wearing one of these:



And this cardigan is made using a traditional Nordic knitting technique.




When I asked Gudrun how she felt about the end of Lund she told me, ' The Killing might be over but the jumper lives on.' And she's right. The Danish detective may have disappeared from our screens but I now have a new Scandi style icon to fill the vacuum. Moving on, people. Moving on.


15 comments:

Déjà Pseu said...

What gorgeous designs!! I'd even break my "no bulky knits" rule for that landscape sweater or cardigan.

Catherine Robinson said...

She sounds delightful and lovely knitwear too ;-)
Thanks for popping by today always good to hear from you.
Have a good week.
Catherine
xx

Patti said...

I didn't know her brand was the "star" sweater of The Killing! She is lovely and so are her designs.

Preston Davis said...

LOVE these knits!!

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Great knits and she looks so nice too! Love the shoe and sock combo - I just can't pull off that kind of cool look.

LFW at Somerset House - I live in London, yet I've never actually "taken part" in any of it which makes me wonder if I'm massively missing out... :-)

Anonymous said...

Love that last cardigan. Loved The Killing too.

Kate Brown said...

Chunky knits will always be a winner in the UK! Our weather gets more Nordic every year. Katie B @ Minerva Collection – UK Handbags & Jewellery

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love that sweater in the first picture...just wish I had the weather to wear it in. She is gorgeous!

The Style Crone said...

Gorgeous way to stay warm. And the shoes are fantastic.

Susan Chuang said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mette said...

Chunky knitwear in calm colors are to my taste. I spied one like that hanging on the rack.

Fashion for Aliens said...

The shoes and socks combo are fantastic- I keep handknit socks hidden in loafers - inspired use of gold and grey together. I might have to Pintrest this one TNMA

Mrs C said...

I love chunky knits but doesn't seems to fit the city I'm currently in. But nevertheless I still have one or two just in case ;)

GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES DAILY
http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/

Highland Fashionista said...

I covet the ones he is wearing!, I need to pick up my knitting again!

odysseyhome.com said...

Those knits look so warm and cozy.