Wednesday, 1 August 2012

The beauty of age: Isabella Rossellini


This week I've mostly been obsessing over the Olympics and listening to the radio. Did you know that Bradley Wiggins has been given the freedom of Chorley? Thought not. In other news, today's edition of Woman's Hour was dedicated to feminism and beauty and the pressures women feel about looking a certain way. Young and old called in to discuss their experiences: whether they were influenced by the media, society, or in some cases by their husband's delectation (shocking, I know), whether they'd already had or would consider having surgery, and the like. I was on the verge of phoning in myself but decided not to embarrass myself by getting 'a bit ranty' on national radio. Anyway, it was a brilliant discussion, if you missed the show you can listen to it here. Everything ended on a positive note when a caller named Marie said that her grown-up son and his friends went to see Quantum of Solace and decided they preferred Judi Dench to the young, nubile Bond girls. Now that's what I call the beauty of age.

Which brings me on to the Isabella Rossellini Bulgari ads, shot by Annie Liebowitz (these are for the new Isabella Rossellini bag, much better that an Alexa, don't you think?) The 59-year-old actress is having a moment. In the About Face: Supermodels Then & Now documentary by Timothy Greenfied-Sanders, which was out in the USA this week, she says, ' I was lucky because I started modelling when I was 28-years-old. Now they start so young and there is much more pressure. Modelling taught me to be confident and financially independent. When my daughter (Elettra Wiedermann) started modelling at 20, an agent told her she should get plastic surgery, immediately. I was completely scandalised. I could have killed someone. I made a phone call that was the most ferocious I'd ever made.'


Bravo, Isabella.




Do you feel under pressure to look a certain way?



Photo: Grazia. Quote: Harper's Bazaar


20 comments:

Debs_TC said...

No pressure ! I think when you get to a certain age - you get happy in your own skin- just be !
Great blog, shes stunning isnt she !

déjà pseu said...

She's always been one of my favorite actresses. Stunning, still.

the gardener's cottage said...

oh i'd have wanted to kill too! my God, the pressure.

i don't feel any pressure to look a certain way although it seems like once you hit 50 there are all kinds of rules that people want to impose on you.

Patti said...

I do feel the pressure, yes, but I resist and think about gorgeous, natural looking women like Isabella.

Angele Style said...

No pressure to look a certain way. I have no desire for a face lift, or botox because I am a naturalist. I have never used any kind of moisturizers or creams of any kind because I do not think they work in a way that I consider safe and healthy. If I wanted to experiment with getting rid of my lines and wrinkles I would try acupuncture.

But if the wrinkles went away then guess what? I would need liposuction on my arms because they are way too fat. And then...oh the list would never end.

Alex M said...

I think we put the pressure on ourselves... but it helps to get affirmative messages (that are genuine) from those we love. Who cares if strangers think we are beautiful? What matters is that those we love see us that way.

mermaid gallery said...

no pressure....but I want to look and feel fit ....and happy...the best look of all!

The Style Crone said...

Another woman to be inspired by. It seems the list is growing and we can find it here. Refreshing!

Victoria said...

One of my aunts has always said she thinks I look like Isabella Rossellini - I have of course always been delighted with the comparison!!! She's smart and beautiful and its great to see her (and that lovely bag).

No pressure to look any different than I do, apart from wanting to be healthy fit and happy in my own skin. Yes I could do with hitting the gym a bit more and less snacking but I'm enjoying life and its pleasures.

Chicatanyage said...

Love the bag and Isabella does still look great although in the ad. picture she looks very digitally enhanced which in another way IMHO feeds into our illusions of how we should look at a certain age. I prefer the previous picture you posted of her.

ann.about.town said...

No. Never have.

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

I wear what I want always mindful of what feels right for me.

Sue
xo

othello said...

I truly enjoyed the HBO documentary, About Face. It represented the various comfort levels women have with aging and "adjustments" to aging. One gorgeous model (still working) was quoted as saying, " If your ceiling is falling down in your house, you fix it, right?" Others, may have had smaller adjustments such as having the eyes "done". Some of the women had absolutely nothing done and a few were contemplating the possibility of having something done. They, like many women, have varying comfort levels with aging. They ALL looked natural and beautiful. They ALL demonstrated grace and good taste. They ALL provided a road map for aging gracefully and possible "adjustments" for those varying degrees of comfort. Nothing plastic and freakish looking. Rather, careful and intelligent discussions on varying viewpoints and comfort levels with aging were reflected in the interviews. I thought this was an outstanding documentary and validated women navigating different pathways of aging. Thank you HBO.

mette said...

The only one who can place the pressure on me is me. No, no pressure.
I´m not that impressed by this picture of I.R.
Yes, it looks pretty.
Having the genes she has, the photographer she has, the setting she has = no wonder the picture turned out good.

Vix said...

No, never although like Janet wisely mentions there do seem to be rather a lot over over 40 bloggers trying to impose their own rules on us - skirt length, covered arms, long hair... silly trouts! xxx

Waleska Obando said...

She is fantactic! I love her movies and documentaries! <3 I am a big fan ;) And i have a fan page... http://www.facebook.com/Bella.IsabellaRossellini Look and enjoy! :)

Penelope Jane Whiteley said...

I think she looks stunning although I have to confess, not thrilled about the pose! Surely, as we grow older we
ALL become more beautiful. True, we don't have the bloom of youth, but we DO have wisdom and knowledge and experience ... attributes you only acquire with age.

materfamilias said...

I admire Isabella very much. I recently read an alarming report on a growing segment of Botox customers -- young women in their early 20s, getting it pre-emptively so wrinkles won't even begin to form. Horrifies me as a mother and grandmother of girls/women. And makes me think we need to do more, each and every one of us, to model contentment with our aging features.

Barb said...

I could feel the pressure but won't allow it. Aging is a good thing and I'm not going to spend time trying to cover it up. Just live it.

odysseyhome.com said...

I guess I've felt some pressure from time to time. The older I get, the less this happens. :)
Isabella is a true beauty at any age. Love her.