Thursday, 5 May 2011
Back to work after the Bank Holiday bonanza and thoughts immediately turn to my next vacation. That's Not My Age has a summer holiday dress-up box (one of those big plastic Muji containers) filled with old sarongs, bikinis and faded tunic tops - but having recently culled a stack of age-inappropriate stuff, skimpy Topshop vests and the like, I'm on the look-out for some grown-up replacements. New-ish website style-passport is the brainchild of fashion expert, Sarah Walter, 45, who has tons of experience in both journalism and retail. This woman knows her stuff:
Whether you're looking for lip balm or Linda Farrow sunglasses, staying at home (rain capes and wellies) or jetting off, it's the perfect one-stop holiday shop. Personally, I wouldn't spend £85 on an Anya Hindmarch tote, my holidays aren't that glamorous! And why bother carting a designer bag to the beach when a freebie cotton tote will do? The handles always get caked in indelible suncream and gunk anyway. But it's not all fancy designer merchandise, prices range from 20-odd quid for Petit Bateau t-shirts to three-figure DVF dresses and Antik Batik kaftans, and there's an excellent beauty department with all you need for summer, including nail varnish from £2.50 and handy wipes to make your hair shine - who knew?
So, these are Sarah Walter's five summer essentials:
1. The must-have DVF maxi dress. By day dress with Havaianas, sunnies and a beach bag for the perfect summer look, and dress up with jewellery and heeled sandals for evening.
2. This CK swimsuit is a great figure fixer for every body shape, the cut is super flattering and will make you feel fabulous.
3. The ultimate multi-tasker. I use my scarves as cover-ups on the beach, a wrap on cooler evenings, a head-scarf. Try this one from Missoni.
4. style-passport’s espadrille of choice for the summer. These wedges are feminine, fashionable and extremely comfortable.
5. Sun protection. Don’t forget how ageing the sun can be, oversized “movie star” sunglasses, a packable hat like a Panama and of course great sun cream are essentials to summer.
What are your summer holiday essentials?