Monday, 3 January 2011

What to wear to work




In between episodes of Coronation Street and a spot of Stargazing with Professor Brian Cox, That's Not My Age has been mulling over the early January, back to work conundrum. After a week of long lie-ins and a fair amount of lolling on the settee, knowing what to wear to face the public isn't easy. But, I've come to the conclusion that velvet is the perfect antidote to grey, mid-winter mornings. A post-Christmas pick-me-up, it looks fabulous combined with other textures, such as tweed, lace and satin. So, the Boden velvet tunic (top) looks lovely teamed with charcoal wool pants, and though the Ralph Lauren velvet jodphurs (above) are probably not the simplest trouser to er, pull off, paired with a roll neck sweater and a classic overcoat, they exude easy winter style. This melange of textures reminds me of the nineties Gucci ads when Tom Ford first grabbed our attention with a heady combination of jewel-coloured silky shirts and velvet disco pants...



That's Not My Age has a vintage velvet jacket that gets wheeled out every festive season, usually teamed with a sequinned tunic or a ruffle shirt but this year I'm seriously considering it as a daytime option...



Not quite as luxurious as the Ralph Lauren fabric and it looks quite flat in this picture but black velvet is notoriously difficult to photograph - not as tricky as the Northern Lights but you know what I mean.

Haven't spent my Christmas money yet, so I could be tempted by this silk/graphic lace dress from Jaeger (now £135) and a midnight blue smoking jacket (25% off) from Isabella Oliver:





Sumptuous, warm and sleek. Velvet. It's not just for Christmas.


What will you be wearing on your first day back at work?




Ralph Lauren catwalk photo: style.com

25 comments:

jemmalouise said...

I have black velvet leggings on now, they are so cosy ( which was quite a surprise to me) Teaming them with an oversized lace tee would be fabulous. I love the midnight blue blazer :)

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

I'm after a silk blouse to go with a pair of black velvet trousers I bought on Ebay for a tenner.

That Ralph look is gorgeous. Love the olive trousers!

The Actors is glued to Stargazing, I've been glued to Corrie. It's great at the moment isn't it?

I absolutely love the Jaeger dress but the blazer is too long and you don't need to cover anything up. The colour's gorgeous though xx

Kwana said...

You don't want to know the sad outfit I wore but loving the velvet jacket.

fabriquefantastique said...

Certainly in the 70s it was quite right to wear velvet jackets all day...I bought a super Jaeger one in 1961!! navy, had it for years, never dates

Make Do Style said...

Love your outfit photo and Christina is right the Isabella Oliver one is too long! Much as I like Isabella Oliver.

My first day back at work is at home! In my makeshift office and am wearing gym kit as have to take 20 mins off to do a fitness dvd - worried my backside will spread further! xx

Semi Expat said...

That velvet jacket is wonderful. A little too hot here in Australia for velvet atm but I love it. Today I wore capri pants and a check shirt to work - it was 25 degrees C. X

Vintage Vixen said...

I love your outfit, that velvet jacket is gorgeous. Not keen on the other one, as Christina wisely points out it's too long and reminds me of those horrid 1990's trouser suits. xxx

Penny Dreadful said...

I loved Tom Ford era Gucci so much. I still remember the cover of the Elle magazine I bought with that turquoise shirt on the cover. The tagline was Gucci Gucci Coup, ha! A silk shirt in a jewel colour would go so well with your velvt jacket - do love teh one you have chosen from IO, but what Christina says about the length makes sense.

That's Not My Age said...

Christina you are so right! Now that you mention it, the Isabella Oliver jacket does look too long. Much longer than mine. But maybe the oversized boyfriend look would work?

Fabrique - the Jaeger jacket sounds fab, hope you're wearing it today!

WendyB said...

When that Gucci look came out, I got three Ann Taylor shirts like that and basically wore them every week with my black pants from the Gap :-D

Suzie Bee said...

I am SO in with velvet right now. I too have a black velvet jacket but am considering getting another one for daywear (I don't wear much black during the day) or some glamorous trousers. It's so luxurious!

An alternative workwear option for me is tweed. It's rugged and almost impossible to stain and looks gorgeous when tailored.

Looking Fab in your forties said...

When Madonna wore a Gucci satin blue shirt and velvet pants, as in your picture I copied the look with High Street pieces I loved the look so much. It must have been about 15 years ago!

Veshoevius said...

I absolutely love velvet (love the first two pics) but doubt I could get away wearing it to work. I vote for the Jaeger dress!

Fashionistable said...

Oh Velvet I love it too and havent worn it for a very long time. Thanks for the reminder. Xxxx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

I say get the Jaeger dress and leave the jacket for someone who wants to cover up. You don't need to and look great in your shorter one. There'll be better ones for you, I'll let you know if I spot anything xx

Northern Snippet said...

I love a bit of velvet,you've reminded me I have a grey velvet jacket languishing somewhere will have to dig it out!

Paula said...

oh yes, the old Gucci ad - what a good time for fashion this was!

Tabitha said...

I like velvet too, but I fear raindrop splodges - does all velvet mark or was that my bad luck?

Diana Mieczan said...

I love velvet jackets. They are so chic and stylish:) I work from home so mostly its tee and jeans for me but when I have a meeting I usually go with a pencil skirt, flats, and great jacket
Kisses,sweetie

Ps: I am hosting a great home decor GIVEAWAY today, so please join in :)

GoldenGirl said...

Velvet for work isn't very practical for me, but I do wear a Boden velvet coat everyday. I love it :o)

cathy said...

Oh,I really love this post! Everything about it makes me happy :-)
Going right now to pull my velvet jacket out of the back of my closet...
The dress you are considering is fantastic

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

I let the side down badly - first day back I wore a big red woolly old jumper and jeans!

Jeanne said...

I love, love, love velvet and everything that you have shown here. The smoking jacket from Isabella Oliver is absolutlely stunning:)

Shopgirl said...

I love the first outfit. I am still after the perfect pair of black skinny trousers for work. Maybe I'll find them in 2011?!!

ilaya9302 said...

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. .


Work Wear Australia