Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Colour Therapy






The sky over London has been pretty murky of late, there's a general greyness that - much like the red wine stain on our tablecloth - just won't budge. Anyway, on New Year's Eve (that's my birthday, if you're interested), Mr & Mrs TNMA went to see the Bridget Riley exhibition at the National Gallery. It's only a small show, just the one room, but a quick look at Riley's brilliant waves and I immediately perked up. So, whilst pondering the effect a blast of colour can have on both the soul and the wardrobe, I found this lovely quote from Christian Dior which sums things up quite nicely.

'Even the prettiest colour if you wear it every day will lose its effect. Colour needs change. We wouldn't appreciate blue skies if they were always blue, it is the clouds the ever-changing scene, that makes the sky so beautiful.'


Bridget Riley Paintings and Related Work is on at the National Gallery until 22 May 2011


Shirt dress photo: Hobbs

16 comments:

Veshoevius said...

And oh how much shall I appreciate a blue sky when I see one again! Happy Birthday for New Years Eve!

Vintage Vixen said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Mrs TNMA!
What a glorious splash of colour. It's so blinking grey here, you've made me smile. xxx

heidi adnum said...

Oh, Happy Birthday! Can't beat a bit of colour.

Fiona said...

Happy Birthday, TNMA! LONDON.... I am in awe. I love it! Been there, but live in Australia. I love my country, but melt when I see your history/beauty!

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-A lovely vibrant post and wishing you a very Happy New Year too x

Ellen Arnison said...

Many happy returns and thank you for the colour. Ms Riley certainly knows how to capture a splash of sunshine.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Happy belated Birthday!!

I was just about to write a post about how dull it is at the moment. I tried to take some pics of the rain/sleet/snow currently coming down outside my window!

Just looking at your post has cheered me up! Gorgeous colours, especially the top picture xx

Tabitha said...

Happy belated Birthday!
And thanks, that spot of colour has shaken off my cobwebs. I might treat myself to some flowers this weekend.

dustymink said...

Inspiring words under a grim, grey sky. I've been wearing a lot of black, grey and navy since the style excess of party season and I'm definitely getting into the mood for a splash of brightness again. Happy belated birthday!

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

Tell me about it! Today has not even got light around here. Am wearing red - in pursuit of cheeriness!

Fashionistable said...

I love big fat fluffy clouds and sunshine. Changing weather is good but continued murk is yeuchy. Thank you for this colourful post. Also for your lovely comment today. Xxxx

Young at Heart said...

bridget is on my to do list....no excuse now.....will be off to colour my world, happy new year!!

Make Do Style said...

Oh happy belated birthday too!!

Ah Mr Dior such a shame he died too soon, a few more collections and I would have been very happy.

materfamilias said...

Happy Birthday! and thanks for this reminder about the Bridget Riley show -- I came across it earlier than forgot. I'm hoping to be in London in March or April and would love to see more of her work.
Won't be quite as therapeutic then, perhaps, as in January or February, but still pretty wonderful.

Fashion Fabrice said...

I love the dress!:)
you have such a great blog by the way!i'm happy i ran into it:) I really like your style and reading your posts!
So i'm your newest follower:)
hope you visit me back and become my follower too!
Love,fashionfabrice!
Have a fabulous day!

Suzie Bee said...

Oh Dior, how I adore thee. It's so true about colour - that's why I love the changing seasons so much.